How to Clean Stainless Steel | JanSan UK
Stainless steel has been a firm favourite in commercial kitchens for years and is becoming increasingly popular in domestic kitchens. Known for its ability to resist corrosion, fire and heat, it's also one of the easiest surfaces to keep hygienic.
Unfortunately, if you have ever come across stainless steel, you will know maintaining a smear-free, fingerprint less countertop can feel like a never-ending job. However, with the right care and maintenance keeping your appliances and countertops glistening couldn’t be easier – and with that in mind, we’ve created a quick 4-step guide to stainless steel cleaning.
You will need:
How to clean your stainless-steel surfaces:
- Water is your best friend! Use warm water and a cloth to wipe all surfaces down and get rid of any dirt and debris.
- Wipe dry the surfaces to prevent watermarks on the stainless steel
- Using one of the microfibre cloths apply polish to the stainless-steel surface
- Once the entire area is covered, use a clean microfibre cloth to gently buff away the polish, moving in the direction of the metal grain to prevent any scratches.
Before & After Pictures of Our Stainless Steel Polish
Avoid these common mistakes
- Never use bleach on stainless steel. It may seem obvious to bleach your surfaces when cleaning your kitchen/bathroom, but stainless steel and chlorine do not mix. Stay on the safe side and check all your cleaning products to ensure they don’t contain chlorine. If you do get some on the surface, quickly rinse it off to prevent any staining.
- When cleaning with water, make sure you completely dry your stainless steel. The minerals in water can damage the surface if left on too long, causing staining or pitting.
- Never scrub against the grain. Some stainless steel has a brushed look made up of tiny lines in the metal and this is the ‘grain’ of the finish. For best results, always scrub, wipe, or polish stainless steel "with" (parallel to) the grain rather than "against" or across the grain. Cleaning with the grain gets the surface cleaner, and helps maintain the original finish and texture of the steel.
Why Does The UK Trust JanSan?
It’s simple: we aim to offer a better, faster, more comprehensive choice of cleaning products including washroom supplies; wiping cloths, soaps and skin care, cleaning chemicals, mopping and floor care, cleaning equipment and waste management products. Orders for in-stock items received by 2 pm Monday to Friday are sent using next day delivery with free postage on orders over £50 (ex VAT) to the UK mainland.